MANDATORY RECYCLING FOR BUSINESSES AND MULTI-FAMILY COMPLEXES
In October of 2011, Assembly Bill (AB) 341 set a 75% recycling goal for California by the year 2020. This law mandates that all Commercial businesses
and public entities that generate four cubic yards or more of solid waste per week, and multi-family complexes with five units or more, are subject
to mandatory recycling and required to do one of the following:
1) Separate recyclable materials from the solid waste that are discarded, and either self-haul or arrange for separate collection of the recyclables; or
2) Subscribe to a service that includes mixed waste processing that provides diversion results comparable to source separation.
In October of 2014, Governor Brown signed into law Assembly Bill (AB) 1826 requiring all businesses, including multi-family complexes to recycle their organic(*)
waste that are landfill bound. The full scope takes 5 years to implement by first targeting the largest waste generators. The implementatoin schedule for Burinesses
and multi-family comlexes to have an organics recycling program in place is as follows:
- April 1, 2016: Businesses and multi-family complexes generating 8 cubic-yards per week of organic waste
- January 1, 2017: Businesses and multi-family complexes generating 4 cubic-yards per week of organic waste
- January 1, 2019: Businesses and multi-family complexes generating 8 cubic-yards per week of solid waste
(*) Organic waste includes food waste, green waste, landscape and pruning waste, nonhazardous wood waste, and food-soiled paper waste that is mixed with food waste.
For more informaton on AB341 (Mandatory Commercial Recycling) and AB1826 (Mandatory Organic Waste Recycling)
Patriot Services, Inc. is Licensed, Bonded & Insured
Please visit LA County Smart Business Recycling
and CalRecycle websites.